Erectile Dysfunction: Causes and Treatment
About one in every five men suffers from erectile dysfunction (ED) – the inability to achieve or maintain an erection that enables sexual intercourse, even though sexual drive and the ability to have an orgasm may not necessarily be affected.
Although erectile dysfunction is common, many men find it difficult to discuss and are too embarrassed to seek help for ED, despite the fact that they can usually benefit from medical treatment.
Causes of ED
- Restricted blood flow to the penis due to narrow blood vessels
- Diabetes, heart disease, high blood pressure, and high cholesterol, which can affect the blood vessels
- Medications that reduce blood pressure by reducing blood flow
- Surgery to treat prostate cancer
- Low testosterone
- Smoking and alcohol and substance abuse
Fortunately, there are numerous effective solutions for ED, including
- Oral medications such as Viagra®, Cialis®, and Levitra®
- Penile implants
- Penile injections (self-administered)
- Platelet-rich plasma (PRP) injections (experimental)
- Vacuum erection devices
- Urethral suppositories, also known as medicated urethral system for erection (MUSE)(experimental)
- Low-intensity shockwave therapy (experimental)
At Wake Forest Men’s Health, Dr. Ryan Terlecki will evaluate your condition and explain all your treatment options. He will help you decide which is best for you based on the severity of your condition, your medical history, and your personal preferences.
For ED Treatments in Winston-Salem and Wake Forest, NC, Contact Our ED Doctor Today!
ED is no laughing matter, nor is it something to be ashamed of. If you or a loved one is experiencing erectile dysfunction, the caring and skilled team at Wake Forest Men’s Health can help. To arrange a consultation with Dr. Terlecki, call (336) 716-4131 or complete our request an appointment form.